Sunday, February 24, 2008

A brief update...

Sorry that it has been a while since there was a post. A lot has happened in the short two weeks since our last update. Here is a quick overview: Jeff got back safely to MN and is rooming with Dave (this could be trouble!). He is doing well and I miss him tons! It is a little odd living by myself. However, this past week it was kind of nice to have the quiet atmosphere. The weekend that Jeff left I attending a conference of the first-year experience in San Francisco. It was great fun and I got to hang out with Jen (a co-worker from NDSU)! I also presented a poster session on the progression of residential learning communities. On top of this, I also got the questions and had a week to complete my master comps. I guess all of the stress added up and I got shingles! It is not very fun. It started out as bumps on my forehead, which turned into blisters. I also developed blisters on my eyelid, the bridge of my nose, and my scalp. It is a pretty painful and uncomfortable experience. I have been getting headaches everyday and pretty much have them under control. I am on medication for the rest of it and the blisters are starting to scab over and the itchiness is horrible. I found that sleeping with mittens on is the best way for me to not scratch my forehead during the night! I am continuing to get better and am looking forward to putting this all behind me. I am hoping that it is within the next week or so because I leave for Boston for another conference at the beginning of March!

Sorry for not posting pictures. I know that I have a random selection to post and I will get to it someday. Right now I am just trying to do what is necessary and nothing else - destressing my life so to say! I hope that all is going well with everyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karin - BluePip Designs said...

Hi Heidi!

So sorry to hear about your shingles - I hope it clears up soon and your headaches go away. I've seen Jeff a couple of times and he seems to be behaving pretty well. We're looking forward to you being back here as well!!

2/24/2008 10:32 PM  
Blogger The Zoecklers said...

Are you moving back at the end of the semester? Please keep up posted on when so we can come and visit. Does Jeff have Bait and Tackle back, yet? Geoff's Grandma had shingles and I know that they're VERY painful! Ouch!

2/27/2008 11:03 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Oh Heidi! I've had shingles and they ARE very painful! I had them in my ear canal, which caused swelling of the facial nerve which then caused partial facial paralysis for 6 months. I was nervous reading your blog when you said they were that close to your ears!! I'm so glad to hear they're getting better. I also know what it's like to be left behind while Hubby gets to move "home." I hope you aren't too stressed out, but staying busy is the only way to go. :(

Trav and I would also like to be a part of your homecoming, so keep us in the loop!

2/27/2008 6:27 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh, you are in my prayers, I am so sorry you have to go through this! It's great that you are taking time to just take care of yourself. Did you have chicken pox as a kid? Love you!

3/24/2008 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home