Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Portland

Jeff and I had a great time in Portland. We were able to see all of my relatives (except for 1 cousin) who live in the area. I hadn't seen my cousins in about 11 years and Jeff had never met them. My aunts and grandma came to our wedding, but that was still a couple of years ago. We had a wonderful time and loved every minute that we were there. Before I write any more about our trip I need to write this - I did not want to write this blog because about 200 pictures of my family mysteriously disappeared from the laptop. We uploaded them during the trip and they are no longer in the folder that I put them in :-( I was so upset about this last night and asked Jeff to write the blog entry. However, I have some free time on my hands this morning (OK maybe not free, but I don't feel like doing much else) so I thought that I would put it together. - Back to the trip:
On Friday, we walked around Portland's waterfront. It was absolutely gorgeous outside and the views of Mt. Hood were breathtaking. That night, a few of us went on a tour of Portland's underground. It is amazing - I really enjoyed it. We learned the history of being shang-haied and saw an opium den, tons of artifacts, and few other pieces of history. On Saturday, we drove to Mt. Hood with my grandma and Uncle Mike. We went to Timberline Lodge, which was amazing. It was cloudy and rainy that day so we couldn't see the summit, but the lodge was pretty cool to look through. That night, we went on a dinner-boat cruise aboard the Portland Spirit. My cousin Amy, her kids and fiance joined us. It was a great time and I am so depressed I don't have the pictures. Not all pictures were lost, just the ones that I wanted. We have pictures from after the boat cruise, so above is the boat we were on.

After the dinner cruise, we went back to my aunt Linda's and enjoyed good company. We picked up Amy's dogs from the hotel and it was quite the house full of puppies. Above is Hunter (on the floor), Daisy (black dog on couch), and Molly (small dog on couch). Daisy liked Molly a little bit too much and we had some great laughs that night being entertained by them.

On Sunday, we went to my cousin Joey's place and met his family. We then headed back to cousin Kelly and Rob's house for dinner (which was delicious). We stayed there for a while playing with the dogs. Above is Jeff with Oden (on the the couch) and Daisy. Below is me with Oden. Oden is Kelly and Rob's dog, Daisy is my aunt Cheryl's dog, Hunter and Molly are Amy's, and Lena (who was not pictured here) is my aunt Linda's dog. We had such a good time with all of them.

Here is a picture of my 2nd cousins - Justin, Mickaela, Lily, Iris, and Abby. We had a great time with the kids. They are so cute and very energetic!

Pictured below are my cousins Joey and Tavis.
We stayed at my aunt Cheryl's house. I stayed there when I was younger and just remember how much I loved her house. It is an old house with a ton of character. A few years ago, she had a guy paint a mural outside of her kitchen window so she wouldn't have to look at a cement wall. Below is a picture of the mural:

I have a few more pictures of this, but I think you get the idea. She had four naked women painted. It is huge and amazing! The vines are starting to grow up and as grandma says, "it covers their unmentionables."
On Monday, we walked around downtown Portland and window shopping. We stopped by Powell's bookstore, which takes up a city block and is about 3-4 stories high. It was amazing to go through. After visiting with grandma and looking through some old photographs of my dad's childhood, it was off to the airport. On the way there, we say a rainbow and got a picture of it. That had to be a good sign :-)


We had a great and unforgettable trip and I thank all of my relatives for showing us great hospitality!

3 Comments:

Blogger smeets said...

So sorry to hear about your pictures, but at least you have some saved. Happy to hear you had a good Easter.

4/11/2007 5:06 PM  
Blogger Karin - BluePip Designs said...

So sad to hear about the pictures - I accidentally deleted all the pictures from our first two days in Arizona so I sort of know how you feel :( Glad you had fun though!

4/13/2007 2:12 PM  
Blogger david said...

I've had that happen with pictures before too after copying them to a laptop. I have no clue where they went.

It is always good to see family you haven't seen in ages. I have a wedding this summer for a cousin I haven't seen in nearly 5 years, he will be too busy getting married I'm sure to talk, but it will still be fun.

Sounds like it was a fun Easter!

4/14/2007 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home